Monday, January 11, 2016

Guest Post: Living Life Alone

Posted by Rabbi Richard Address in Jewish Sacred Aging

For many of us, the “holiday season” begins with Rosh Hashanah, and moves on thru Yom Kippur, Thanksgiving, Chanukkah, Christmas, and finally New Year.

If we are fortunate, we have friends who are sensitive to our “family-less” situation, and invite us to be part of their celebrations and rituals.  I am always greatful for these invitations and enjoy being part of what are often boisterous, fun, memory filled days.  But there is a part of me that recognizes that I am different – an outsider looking in.  Without spouse or partner, children or grandchildren, I lack common ground.  And often, I return home with feelings of sadness and loneliness – that awful isolation that makes my apartment feel so empty.

Much is written about this.  But what about the rest of the year?  How does living alone and without family effect day to day living?

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment